Waitrose pledges further £2.6m to UK egg suppliers
- Waitrose has further committed to investing in its egg farmers
- Constantly monitoring the market and farming input costs, and have been increasing the price paid for eggs over the last 18 months
- There is strong availability of British free range eggs in Waitrose shops and online
James Bailey, Executive Director at Waitrose comments:
“Without our farmers, we can’t function as a business. We’ve cultivated long standing relationships with ours, and paying them fairly and offering our customers free range British eggs are commitments that we simply won’t sacrifice, even when the going gets tough.
“We continue to have a good supply of 100% British free range eggs, which is testament to these strong relationships and our unwavering commitment to our farmers. As other retailers are seeing shortages, we have seen a slight rise in demand but we’re working hard to ensure we have the quality, high welfare products on our shelves that our customers expect from Waitrose.”
What's special about our eggs?
- All our own-label eggs are British and free range, since 2008
- In 2001, we were the first major supermarket to stop selling eggs from caged hens
- We’ve been recognised by Compassion in World Farming (CiWF), as best European retailer for farm animal welfare, for the third time in a row
- We hold 14 Compassion in World Farming prizes, including a Good Egg Award, which we’ve had since 2008. This recognises our commitment to cage-free eggs
For more information please contact:
Sophie Somers - [email protected]
About the John Lewis Partnership
The John Lewis Partnership owns and operates two of Britain's best-loved retail brands - John Lewis and Waitrose. Started as a radical experiment over a century ago, the Partnership is now the largest employee-owned business in the UK, with over 80,000 employees who are all Partners in the business. The Partnership is purpose-driven, existing to create a fairer and more sustainable future for our Partners, customers, suppliers and communities. Our Purpose not only inspires our principles, drives our decisions and acts as our guide to be a force for good, it steers us to do things differently and better - all in service of creating a happier world for everyone and everything we touch.
Waitrose & Partners has 331 shops in England, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands, including 59 convenience branches, 27 shops at Welcome Break locations, and Waitrose.com - its fast-growing online shopping business, consistently rated highly by independent research. The retailer combines the convenience of a supermarket with the expertise and service of a specialist shop - dedicated to offering quality food that has been responsibly sourced, combined with high standards of customer service. As part of an employee-owned business, all Partners have a say in how the business is run.