Sales of winter warmers soar at John Lewis amidst the cold snap
- Sales of electric heaters have doubled since last year
- Heated throws and underblankets are up 80%
- Heated Indoor Clothes Airer has seen sales rise five-fold compared to last year
With the cold winter snap well and truly upon us, John Lewis has seen a huge surge in sales of winter warmers.
Sales of electric heaters have doubled since last year, heated throws and underblankets are up 80%, and our Heated Indoor Clothes Airer has seen sales rise five-fold compared to last year.
Other popular items include (all figures are compared to this time last year, unless otherwise stated):
- Faux fur throws up +37%
- Fleece blankets up +386%
- Wool and cashmere blankets up +82%
- Brushed cotton bed linen (which is brushed after weaving to give an extra warm feel) up +94%
- Plain quilts up +30%
- Gloves up 35% compared to the week before (our customers are preferring a more formal glove this year, with Fleece Lined Leather Gloves and Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves proving the most popular.
- Women's thermals +146%
- Our Christmassy Red Beret is up +350% on last week
- Men's coats up 18%
- Knitwear is up +20%
- Men's and Women's slippers up 4%
Claire Miles, Head of Category Fashion at John Lewis, said: “With the cold winter snap bringing freezing temperatures across the country - and the cost of energy such a concern - our customers are certainly spending with heat in mind. We've got some great offers across knitwear and coats to help our customers wrap up warm."
About the John Lewis Partnership
The John Lewis Partnership owns and operates two of Britain's best-loved retail brands - John Lewis and Waitrose. Started as a radical experiment over a century ago, the Partnership is now the largest employee-owned business in the UK, with over 80,000 employees who are all Partners in the business. The Partnership is purpose-driven, existing to create a fairer and more sustainable future for our Partners, customers, suppliers and communities. Our Purpose not only inspires our principles, drives our decisions and acts as our guide to be a force for good, it steers us to do things differently and better - all in service of creating a happier world for everyone and everything we touch.